28 December, 2008

Best Casting Ever

Thanks to Perez I have just learned that there will be a Gilligan's Island movie made. (The original Gilligan is pictured on the right.) And in quite possibly the Best Casting Ever, the producers have told the world who they want in the title role.

Perez called it inspired casting. And before I even saw he'd written that, I had to agree. Apparently, they want Michael Cera in the role.

Now, I'm not the guy's #1 admirer by any means. But I've gotta say they are absolutely on the mark for fingering Cera to wear the Gilligan hat. If you aren't familiar with him it suggests that not only did you miss seeing Superbad at the cinema, but you also didn't go see Juno. Have you been living under a rock?

Personal opinion: go rent Juno tonight on DVD - but don't bother going to rent Superbad. I saw Superbad and went, uhn I know what you were trying to do with this movie but unfortunately the main character was just slightly too overpowering to allow me to feel sorry for him later on and I just didn't find it believable that the other chick would fall for him. The main guy is an oafish, vulgar, overweight sexist pig, who makes constant jokes about penises, vaginas and all the women who want to have sex with him, in between putting people down and generally being unlikeable. Cera, as the downtrodden best friend, was brilliant. The film has a ton of laughs and people who enjoy rather off-taste humour will laugh at every one. But there were a handful that made me cringe with ew-factor, and I'm not a complete square, I just think there are some female bodily fluids that don't make funny jokes when displayed on camera, if you get my drift.

Juno, on the other hand, I quite enjoyed. I watched this one on a Finnair flight taking me to Helsinki. The movie gets 8 out of 10 for me. Loved the storyline, and Cera again outshone the main character. It's about Juno, a teenaged girl who decides to lose the big V with her platonic best friend Paulie (Cera) in a fumble of spur-of-the-moment confusion. She falls pregnant but decides to carry the child and give it up for adoption. The one thing the movie just didn't need was Juno becoming close friends with the adoptive dad and his subsequent divorce from the adoptive mother. It really just distracted from the main storyline, the fascinating part, which was Juno and Paulie growing up in a hurry as they cope with all the emotions involved in giving another couple the gift of a child. He was just fabulous as the awkwardly shy guy pushed to one side, who felt helpless and excluded from a lot of Juno's decisions, and he really played the "third-wheel" role well.

So as for playing Gilligan? I am struggling to think of any actor who is more suited to the role. But putting Beyoncé as the movie star, um, I don't think she's quite right. I tried to work out who it could be. Maybe Pamela Anderson? Not sure. But not Beyoncé. To me she just has a bit too much strength about her. Actually, Reece Witherspoon, Kirsten Dunst, or even Hilary Duff would be more believable than Beyoncé. Don't get me wrong, the lady is a champion, just not a good fit stranded on an island imo.

Anyway. Xheer for Cera as Gilligan.

*whistles, "...a three hour tour..."

~ Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment