01 April, 2011

erk

Feeling uncomfortable about the chapter draft below. I don't like the c-word (in fact I don't like gratuitous use of swear words in ANY novel when they don't serve a purpose). I'm feeling the need to try and explain myself. The words there are kinda necessary for this reason: the novel's initial setting is a small country town. I spent several years living in one and Eleni's home life is an amalgamation of several families I actually know. This kind of language used around children is normal. One young woman I know simply can't understand what's wrong with a toddler telling people to f*** off - or call people c***s. Maybe I'm just a square! But to me it's dirty and distasteful for those words to come out of a child's mouth.

So now I'm plagued with doubt. The first chapter is supposed to be shocking. But is it too shocking? Will it turn readers off and make them close the book? Ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment